I want to update you on the steps we’re taking in light of the COVID-19 virus. As you can appreciate it is a fast moving situation, changing daily and at times hourly. I will do my best to keep these communications coming as developments occur. At the heart of it all this is my desire to keep you and your coaches along with the broader community, safe and healthy.
There is no evidence to suggest this virus is transferred in chlorinated water. Therefore our squad sessions will continue unless the pools close, the authorities advise us otherwise, or attendee numbers reduce dramatically.
From today your coaches will be taking the following steps;
1) We will be keeping our numbers to no more that eight swimmers per lane for training, so please book online at MindBody if you can, so we can manage sessions easily
2) Your coaches will be practising social distancing so don’t get offended when they stand apart and don’t hand shake or high-five
3) If you appear unwell your coach may ask you to leave the session for the sake of all of us
4) They will ask you to practise social distancing in the pool (keeping 1.5m apart) and try to avoid forming congregations at the end of the lane
We ask you, our swimmers, to take the following steps to minimise the risk to yourselves and others;
1) Do not come to training if you have a sniffle, sore throat, fever, or feel at all unwell
2) Do not come too early to the pool and congregate together, practise social distancing (1.5m apart)
3) Do not shake hands, high-five, or kiss, or hug each other
4) Wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face
5) Do not share goggles, caps, drinks, towels or other items
6) Cough and sneeze into your elbow
7) Do not spit into the pool or blow your nose in the pool water
8) Do not loiter at the facility after training, unless you’re swimming
9) It’s best to reschedule the post training coffees and breakfasts until such time as this has passed
10) If you have been overseas and returned to Australia on or after today, 16th March, you must self isolate for 14 days
Hopefully, by all of us taking these steps we can continue to swim, keep safe and healthy, and most importantly protect the vulnerable. We do have some swimmers who fall into the “at risk” category, so please bear this in mind before you come to the pool and during training.
Unfortunately, the Drummoyne squad sessions will finish for the season as discussed with members, on Friday, 20th March. Drummoyne squad members are always welcome at the Victoria Park Pool sessions on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 6.00am – 7.15am.
Please feel to contact me if you have any questions at all.
As always, yours in swimming,